One of the six common mattress sizes is the California king. Most standard models have a width of 72 inches and a length of 84 inches. Because of its length, it is the largest of all mattress sizes. Standard kings, at 76 inches wide and 80 inches long, actually offer more usable space than the California king, despite the latter’s more popular perception as the largest size available. To maximize sleeping space, a California king mattress is a good choice for families with multiple members, such as those who sleep with their children and pets. The price of a king mattress is typically the same as that of a California king mattress.
While a single traveler may appreciate the California king’s extra space, we selected our favorites based on factors that are more important to couples. Resilience, edge support, motion isolation, temperature regulation, and sex responsiveness are all important features to look for. Since California king sizes tend to be among the priciest available, cost-effectiveness is another major factor to think about.
Here we profile the best California kings in detail, highlighting their best features so that you can make an informed buying decision. Our top picks for California king mattresses have in-depth reviews available at the click of a mouse. If you’re looking for our advice on purchasing your first California king mattress, keep reading down below. We’ll go over the benefits and drawbacks of this size, how it stacks up against other options, and who might want to consider making a California king purchase.
Best California King Mattress
The Class of Mattress:Innerspring
Firmness: Medium (4), Firm (6), Extra-Firm (7, 8), and Extra-Extra-Firm (9).
Duration of the Trial:30 night minimum, but we recommend staying for 120
Sizes:Room sizes available: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Cal King
To whom it will be of greatest benefit:
- Individuals who place an emphasis on providing assistance
- Those who rest best on a slightly bouncy surface
- Persons who tend to get very warm while sleeping
- The combination of foam and coils provides comfort without compromising on support.
- The softness of a Euro-top
- There are 4 levels of toughness to choose from.
The WinkBed can be customized to your preferred level of firmness, as it is a hybrid mattress. The mattress is well-suited for a wide range of sleepers thanks to its well-balanced construction and adjustable firmness levels, particularly those in search of a comfortable surface in addition to firm, all-over support.
What It’s Made of
The WinkBed can be adjusted from a medium-soft (4) to a medium-firm (6) to a firm (7) to an extra-firm (8) feel. The adaptive foam Euro-top is quilted with cooling gel to disperse your body heat while you sleep. A layer of high-density polyfoam lies beneath the cover, which adds contouring and support. The pocketed coils in the bottom layer are laid out in a zonal pattern, providing additional support where it’s needed most (the middle) and reducing the likelihood of sinkage in the outer regions. Each mattress has a Tencel cover that encases the entire mattress.
Different WinkBed models have slightly different designs, but all use the same basic structure. The key difference between the medium soft and firm versions is an additional polyfoam layer built into the latter. The WinkBed Plus, the firmest option, has a zoned coil base beneath a polyfoam and latex top layer.
How It Performed
The WinkBed’s zoned coils help to provide exceptional edge support. The coil support core and Tencel cover work together to keep you at a comfortable temperature. Due to these characteristics, the WinkBed is a good choice for couples.
We found the medium firm WinkBed to be one of the most adaptable models available. People weighing anywhere between 130 and 230 pounds have reported feeling completely supported by the mattress, whether they prefer to sleep on their backs, bellies, or sides. Many reviewers commented on the mattress’s high level of support and moderate firmness, praising both for making sleep more enjoyable than ever. Most people who weighed less than 130 pounds slept well on the medium-soft model, while those who weighed more found the firmer models to be most comfortable for their back and stomach sleeping positions.
The 48 contiguous states receive free shipping on WinkBed mattresses. White Glove delivery and the elimination of the customer’s old mattress are available as an additional service. This mattress is backed by a lifetime guarantee and a 120-night trial period.
Silk & Snow Mattress
The Class of Mattress:Foam
Firmness: To a Moderate Degree, Five (5)
Duration of the Test:a minimum of 30 nights and up to 100 nights
Sizes:You can choose from twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and cal king.
For those who:
- Comfortable for side sleepers up to 230 pounds in weight.
- Bargain hunters
- Triple-foam construction provides superior contouring, which helps to alleviate pressure.
- To avoid any unnecessary sagging, the memory foam top layer is significantly denser than standard.
- This cover can be removed and washed in the washing machine.
If you suffer from painful pressure buildup while you sleep, the all-foam Silk & Snow Mattress may be the solution you’ve been looking for. In light of the high standard of its construction, the bed’s price is quite reasonable.
It has a medium feel (a 5) and is constructed with three layers of foam. The first step is a layer of gel-infused memory foam. The density of this foam is greater than that of some competing memory foam beds, so it provides firmer cushioning. The next layer is a polyfoam center that provides a nice middle ground between softness and firmness, and the final layer is a dense, supportive foam that serves as a good foundation for the bed. The polyester and spandex cover is removable and machine washable.
Evaluate Its Efficiency
The foam layers of the Silk & Snow performed exceptionally well in our pressure relief tests, particularly in the areas of the body that put the most weight and stress on a mattress every night: the shoulders, hips, and spine. As a bonus, the foam was able to absorb a lot of movement, so our test subjects hardly felt each other’s movements when they shared a bed. This is helpful for couples, especially if you are the type to wake up whenever your partner gets up during the night. Both side sleepers (up to 230 pounds) and back/tummy sleepers (up to 130 pounds) gave the bed high marks.
Within the 48 contiguous states, Silk & Snow offers free shipping. There is a 100-night trial period where you can sleep on the bed risk-free and get your money back if you decide to return it. There is also a 15-year guarantee on the mattress.
Variety of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Medium Stiffness, or a 6
Amount of Time in Trial:Over the course of 100 nights (minimum of 30)
Warranty:Limited 25 Year
Sizes:Standard, Queen, King, and California King
- Smokers in bed
- Customers looking to buy a bed made from environmentally friendly materials
- People weighing more than 130 pounds who sleep on their sides, and those weighing between 130 and 230 who sleep on their backs or bellies
- Soft, gentle shaping is provided by layers of wool, cashmere, and latex.
- An improved lumbar support zoned coil system.
- Natural cooling is encouraged by breathable materials and airflow through coils.
Luxurious materials like wool, cashmere, latex, and steel coils go into creating the Birch Luxe mattress. Several certifications guarantee that this bed is both safe for the environment and a great night’s sleep, and the high-quality materials used make it much more comfortable than the standard hybrid.
The Stuff That It’s Made Of
The organic cotton cover and quilted Euro-top are the first soft touches of this luxurious mattress. The next, protective layer provides insulation and comfort with a blend of wool and rayon. Organic cashmere fibers, followed by two more wool layers, boost the plushness and regulate temperature because of their natural breathability. Steel coils are zoned to provide additional support in the lower back and along the perimeter, while a proprietary Pulse latex layer strikes a happy medium between contouring and bounce. The latex is GREENGUARD Gold and eco-INSTITUT certified, and the cotton and cashmere have GOTS certifications for organic quality and safety.
Analysis of Results
The Birch Luxe, with its medium firm (6) feel, is one of the most well-rounded mattresses we’ve examined. Regardless of sleeping position or body type, most of our team reported a positive experience on the mattress. However, those weighing more than 130 pounds on their side and between 130 and 230 pounds on their back or stomach will find the bed most comfortable. The coil system and latex pushed back to generate plenty of support, while the soft wool and cashmere layers cradled our bodies to relieve pressure on the shoulders, hips, and spine.
During our temperature neutrality tests, the bed performed exceptionally well. Cotton, wool, and cashmere are particularly good at wicking moisture away from the skin, and all the materials are naturally breathable. This bed is great for hot sleepers because of the ample airflow it provides thanks to the coils.
You can put the Birch Luxe through its paces in the comfort of your own home with the help of the 100-night trial that comes standard. There is also a 25-year guarantee on it. All 50 states get free shipping.
Category of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Firmness Level 6
How Long Is The Trial?One full year, not just the minimum 30
Warranty:Conditional on life’s length
Sizes:Choices of Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Cal King beds
For those who:
- People who prefer to sleep on their sides or backs
- Those who are experiencing a painful buildup of pressure
- Superior isolation from movement is provided by thick foam layers.
- Soft padding eases strain on pressure points.
- A sleep study lasting 365 nights
In terms of plush comfort, the DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress stands out. Whereas some beds must choose between support and soft padding, this one provides both.
What It’s Made of
The DreamCloud’s cover is made from a cashmere and cotton blend, making it extremely comfortable to sleep on. Quilted foam in the cover makes for an incredibly soft feel. A layer of memory foam that shapes to your body’s shape lies beneath the top layer of foam, increasing the padding’s effectiveness. A polyfoam transition layer provides extra contouring without excessive sinkage; it is firmer than the comfort layers. The pocketed coils of the support core are zoned to provide more or less support and pressure relief to specific parts of the body.
How It Performed
The DreamCloud’s medium firm (6) texture should appeal to a wide range of sleepers. Most people who sleep on their sides weigh between 130 and 230 pounds, and a mattress with this level of contouring and support may be ideal for them. For those who prefer the benefits of foam surfaces, such as excellent motion isolation and pressure relief, but dislike the typical foam “body hug,” this bed is a fantastic alternative. To counteract the softness of the comfort layers, the coil system offers strong support and instantaneous response.
The DreamCloud Mattress is backed by a full 365-night risk-free trial with no additional fees for shipping or returns. If you keep the mattress after that time, the warranty will extend to the rest of your life. Free shipping within the 48 contiguous states.
Type of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Medium Stiffness, or a (6)
Size of the Test:30 night minimum, but we recommend staying for a full 100.
Warranty:Limitation of Ten Years
Sizes:Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Cal King sizes
For those who:
- Shoppers in search of a bed with a good mix of comfort and support
- Those who sleep on their sides or who otherwise experience pain at their pressure points
- Individuals who are looking for the best possible deal
- As a comfort system, foam is superior in its ability to conform to the body and relieve pressure.
- The proprietary Memory Plus Foam is more buoyant than standard memory foam.
- The edge support is good and the core is reinforced, so it’s easy to move around.
The Helix Midnight is a hybrid bed that features a supportive latex core and a soft, cushioned foam top. Those who sleep on their sides will appreciate this design because it provides the necessary support while also gently cradling pressure points.
Substances Used in Its Construction
The Helix Midnight’s comfort system consists of two different types of foam. Unlike standard viscoelastic foam, Memory Plus Foam has more bounce and retains less heat, all while cradling the body to support the spine and reduce pressure. An additional layer of transition polyfoam beneath the comfort system adds to its springiness, protecting it from excessive sinkage or sagging. Individually wrapped coils, reinforced at the perimeter, form the support core.
With a medium firmness rating of 6, the Helix Midnight should be suitable for a wide variety of sleepers. This model is great for those weighing between 130 and 230 pounds due to the ample contouring provided by the Memory Plus Foam. The shoulder, hip, and back are all given extra padding from the contouring, and the spine is given extra support from the coil system. The adaptable top makes shifting positions and getting off the bed a breeze.
People who want a high-quality bed but are on a tight budget will find the Helix Midnight to be a good option. The Helix Midnight Luxe, aimed at those willing to spend a little more, features a thicker layer of memory foam in addition to an improved coil core and a zoned support system.
Customers have 100 nights from the time of delivery to try out the Helix Midnight and request a refund if they aren’t satisfied. If your mattress has any issues within the first ten years, you can get your money back.
Nectar Premier Copper
Style of Mattress:Foam
Firmness: Hard Sixth Form
Time of the Trial:Hours: 365 Days: 365 Nights
Sizes:The available bed sizes are: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King.
For those who:
- Those whose pressure points hurt while they sleep
- Slumberers who favor their sides
- The thick memory foam comfort layer dampens the effects of any motion.
- The all-foam construction provides a comfortable, pressure-free environment for the rider.
- Heat retention is mitigated by the inclusion of cooling features.
Nectar Premier Copper is an all-foam mattress designed for people who like the texture of foam but get too hot sleeping on conventional memory foam models. Additionally, those in search of a mattress to lessen the impact of a partner’s tossing and turning at night should consider this design.
Consistency of the Materials
The copper fibers in the quilted cover help keep the mattress cool, and contribute to the medium firmness of the mattress (a rating of 6 out of 10). There’s a thick layer of shape-memory foam below, and that foam is made with phase change material that’s designed to control heat retention in response to your body’s temperature. After that is a thick base layer of high-density foam for durability and stability, and finally a thin polyfoam layer that strikes a balance between contouring and support.
Our team of sleep experts has found that using the Nectar Premier Copper alleviates pressure on key areas like the shoulders and hips very effectively. This bed also performed very well in the category of motion isolation. The thick layer of memory foam is very good at absorbing motion and dampening surface ripples. Our team’s side sleepers reported the most comfort on this bed, but anyone up to 230 pounds found it supportive and comfortable regardless of sleeping position.
The mattress comes with a lifetime guarantee and a trial period of 365 nights. For addresses within the 48 contiguous states, shipping is on the house.
Nolah Evolution 15
Variety of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Levels of difficulty: Medium (5), Medium-Firm (6), and Firm (8)
Time of the Trial:You’ll need to stay for at least 30 nights, but 120 are included.
Sizes:Standard, Queen, King, and California King
People who are most likely to benefit:
- Those who are hot while sleeping
- Subjects suffering from pressure points
- In-store customers searching for a range of firmness options
- Offers a choice of three degrees of hardness
- Superior temperature regulation is achieved via the use of proprietary cooling foam and generous airflow through coils.
- Strong support is provided by a zoned coil system with reinforcement around the edges.
The Nolah Evolution 15 is a hybrid mattress that comes in three different degrees of firmness and is designed to reduce the effects of pressure. Nolah provides three firmness levels, labeled Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm, for your consideration. The softest level is a 5, and the firmest level is an 8. While the models differ slightly in terms of materials and specifications, they all have a pressure-relieving foam comfort system and various cooling mechanisms.
What It’s Made of
The coils in the support core are zoned, and the edges are reinforced, and the coils are enclosed in pockets. Above the core is a layer of polyfoam that keeps you from sinking too far into the mattress, even with the plushest option. AirFoamICE, a proprietary graphite-infused polyfoam, contours to your body like a pillow while you sleep and helps dissipate heat.
How It Performed
A quilted Euro-top is standard on all of the models, providing comfort without compromising on structural integrity. The Evolution 15’s temperature regulation features are not limited to the aforementioned AirFoamICE; instead, it also makes use of a heat escape gusset, thermal conductive fabric, and a layer of wool and cotton. The non-slip base and transportable handle make it convenient to use. The zoned coil layer allows for more give under your shoulders and legs while providing firmer support to your lower back and core.
You can save money by skipping Nolah’s 120-night sleep trial and getting the lifetime warranty instead. Customers in the 48 contiguous states can receive free shipping, and they also have the option to have their old mattress removed and a new one set up at no extra cost.
Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Luxe
Design of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Firm (7), Medium (8), and Medium (9)
duration of the trialMore than 30 nights, but less than 120
Warranty:Ten Year, Restricted
Sizes:Sizes Available: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Other Sizes Upon Request.
Who can benefit the most:
- Smokers in bed
- Those who prefer soft, luxurious mattresses
- Chronically painful pressure point sufferers
- Intensity can be set to one of three levels
- Extraordinary pressure relief is provided by thick foam comfort layers.
- The use of phase-change materials aids in surface cooling.
The Aurora Hybrid from Brooklyn Bedding is a hybrid that comes in three different firmness options. The mattress has cooling features built into its design across all firmness levels, so even sleepers who run hot shouldn’t have to worry about getting too hot in bed.
What It’s Made of
The mattress comes in three firmness levels, from medium-soft (4) to medium-firm (6) and firm (7). The top layer of comfort in every model is made from the same proprietary CopperFlex foam, which shapes to the user’s shape and distributes pressure away from pressure points. The next layer, made of TitanFlex foam, provides even more contouring while also adding a touch of bounce. The firm model uses a layer of VariFlex to give the bed a firmer feel, while the medium soft and medium firm options each have a 1-inch layer of memory foam that enhances pressure relief.
The coil system beneath the soft upper layers is zoned to provide more support for the lower back and less for the shoulders, hips, and other pressure points. TitanCool is a phase change material (PCM) infused into the cover that works to maintain a cool sleeping surface.
How It Performed
The Aurora Hybrid’s high-density foam comfort system does an excellent job of reducing painful pressure points that can develop during sleep. Back and side sleepers weighing less than 130 pounds had the most positive experience with the two softer models. These firmness levels were also well-received by side sleepers weighing between 130 and 230 pounds due to the pleasant combination of softness at the shoulders and hips with firm support for the lower back. Back and stomach sleepers weighing more than 130 pounds favored the firm version. A combination of PCM in the cover and airflow from the coils made this bed a hit with hot sleepers.
Brooklyn Bedding provides a 10-year warranty and a 120-night sleep trial with every mattress sale. Delivery of the bed is free within the 48 contiguous states.
Varieties of Mattresses:Hybrid
Firmness: Firmness Level 6
How Long Is The Trial?There will be a 30-night settling-in period included in the total 120-night stay.
Sizes:There are a variety of bed sizes available, including twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and cal king.
That would benefit the most from it:
- Individuals up to 230 pounds in weight
- Sexually charged snoozers
- Foam mattress fans who prefer a firmer surface
- Sleepers can easily move around on the surface thanks to the responsive polyfoam layers and reinforced perimeter coils.
- A moisture-wicking, breathable cover made from a special blend of celliant fibers
- A free 120-night trial and lifetime guarantee are included with every purchase.
Many of our back-paint testers have found relief from mattresses that provide both spinal cushioning and strong support. The Bear Hybrid is the epitome of a hybrid mattress, with pressure-relieving foam layers and an internal coil system to keep your body on a flat, comfortable surface.
How It’s Constructed
Quilted into the cover of the Bear Hybrid is a layer of adaptive polyfoam. This layer has been infused with a gel for maximum cooling performance. Underneath, pressure is dissipated thanks to the adaptive memory foam that molds to your shape. When you lie down, a layer of polyfoam acts as a buffer between your body and the coils.
The sleep surface and the perimeter support of a mattress are both improved by the use of pocketed coils. A layer of polyfoam provides additional support for the coils. Celliant, a material designed to absorb your body heat, convert it to infrared energy, and confer it back to you to promote recovery, is woven into the cover of this mattress in a special way that makes it a proprietary fabric blend. The moisture-wicking properties of the fabric ensure that you won’t get wet in the middle of the night.
In our sleep tests, those up to 230 pounds gave the Bear Hybrid the highest marks. Sleepers of all sizes and weights found the mattress to be equally accommodating and supportive, particularly those weighing 130 to 230 pounds who slept on their side and those weighing less than 130 pounds who slept on their back or stomach. Pressure is relieved and noise is muffled thanks to the thick foam layers.
To counteract the heat retention of the foam layers, the cover is made of a Celliant blend, which does a good job of keeping the surface cool. An additional layer of thermoregulation is provided by the constant flow of air through the coil layer. In addition, the Bear Hybrid did not make any of our test subjects feel like they were sinking or getting stuck as they moved around. Couples who value a responsive surface for sex may appreciate the coil system that gives the surface bounce and reinforces the perimeter.
Bear gives you a full 120 nights to try out the Bear Hybrid and see if it fits your needs before you have to commit to buying it. The mattress comes with a lifetime guarantee if you decide to keep it. All orders within the 48 contiguous states will be shipped at no cost.
Titan Plus Luxe
Type of Mattress:Hybrid
Firmness: Mildly Stiff (a 4) to Moderately Firm (6)
Duration of the Test:Minimum of 30 Nights, but Recommended 120
Warranty:Ten-Year Contract with a Restrictive Covenant
Sizes:Mattress Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Split California King
Those who will benefit the most from it:
- Over-130-pound sleepers
- Those in search of a mattress that provides both firm support and soft padding
- TitanCaliber coils are the best in the business, and the foam layers provide excellent pressure relief.
- Improved cooling is achieved through increased airflow through coils.
- Supportive perimeter is sturdy and provides a safe edge.
The Titan Plus Luxe from Brooklyn Bedding is an exception to the rule that mattresses designed for heavy people typically trade comfort for durability. This foam and coil hybrid model provides ample support for your body while still being comfortable.
One inch of memory foam infused with a cooling gel covers the top of the mattress like a quilt. The next layer is a thicker one of TitanFlex foam, which also conforms to the body but to a lesser extent than memory foam. Supportive TitanCaliber coils sit beneath a layer of firmer-feeling Energex foam. GlacioTex cooling covers are available for an upcharge. Phase change material is used in its construction, which contributes to its ability to maintain a cool exterior.
How Effective It Was
During our testing, the Titan Plus Luxe impressed us with its level of support for our test subjects’ shoulders and hips, while also relieving pressure there. This is a great compromise if you need a lot of support but your bedmate prefers a lot of pressure relief. Our team’s extensive testing revealed that everyone from the lightest to the heaviest sleepers found this design to be satisfactory, though those weighing more than 230 pounds on their side and those with a body mass index of 130 to 230 found it to be the most accommodating.
The bed’s perimeter is reinforced with strong coils, so there is little to no sagging when sitting. Hot sleepers shouldn’t get too hot because air can circulate freely through the coils. Get the cooling panel if you want to make sure the surface stays cool.
There is no cost for shipping or returns on the Titan Plus Luxe, and the mattress can be tested for 120 nights. There is also a ten-year guarantee on the bed’s mattress.
The Layla Hybrid is our top pick for the best California king mattress because it can be flipped from soft to firm for your comfort. Those who sleep hot, are heavier, or prefer to sleep on their backs or stomachs are advised to use the firmer side of the California king mattress, while those who sleep on their sides and weigh less than 130 pounds should use the softer side. One more benefit of the softer side is the reduced amount of motion and increased pressure relief.
The Layla Hybrid features gel memory foam, support foam, pocketed coils, and a copper-infused foam layer in its California king mattress. The antimicrobial and heat-wicking properties of the mattress’s middle foam layer work together to keep sleepers comfortable and healthy while they rest.
Any size sleeper can find optimal pressure relief and comfort with the Layla Hybrid, thanks to the availability of a firmer mattress side, whether they sleep alone or with a partner on the California king size Layla Hybrid mattress. Find out more in our detailed review of the Layla Hybrid mattress.
A 120-night sleep trial, a 10-year warranty, and free shipping to the lower 48 states are all included with the purchase of a Layla Hybrid California King bed.
Because of its reasonable price, the all-foam Casper Original is a common sight in spacious master bedrooms, where it makes a comfortable addition to the bed. The Casper Original’s pressure-relieving and spinal-aligning features work together to provide a pain-free night’s sleep, thanks to the mattress’s innovative zoned support technology.
The Casper mattress has three distinct zones, with the foam layer zones providing varying degrees of softness and firmness to cater to different parts of the body. You can start counting down the days until your pain disappears once you find your ideal sleeping position on the Casper Original. The Original Casper mattress cover is made from recycled bottles, so it’s also a hit with eco-conscious consumers.
Whether you’re a family of one or two, or you regularly host sleepovers for the kids (and their furry friends), this California king bed will provide ample space for everyone to sleep in comfort. There will be plenty of space for Fido at the foot of the bed, so there’s no need to worry about him.
The Casper Original is made in the USA and is available in a California King size with a 100 night sleep trial, free shipping both ways, and a 10-year warranty. Get the details in our Casper Original review.
The Saatva Classic is an excellent mattress for side sleepers because of its combination of contouring latex foam, supportive innerspring coils, and unique lumbar technology. The Luxury Firm variant of this mattress is the ideal medium-firm California king option due to its hybrid construction, as it is both supportive enough to prevent sagging to the foot and edges and not too firm in comparison to all-foam options.
The Saatva Classic hybrid mattress is unlike any other product sold directly to consumers (so check the width and height of your doorways and staircases to ensure they can accommodate a California king). The fact that it is made to order means that you can select the firmness level and the height (11.5 inches or 14.5 inches) that best suits your needs. Depending on your preference, the beds can be anywhere from medium to firm. The three-inch thick Euro pillow top takes the comfort level of the California king mattress to a whole new level. The same holds true for even the largest bed sizes, such as the California king.
Saatva offers a 15-year warranty, free delivery, in-room setup, and removal of your old mattress, and a sleep trial of 180 nights.
What are the Main Differences Between a King and a California King?
The dimensions of a standard king bed and a California king bed are noticeably different. The dimensions of the two beds are as follows:
- King:Size: 76 x 80
- King of California:Size: 72″ x 84″
The 7-foot California king may be the best option for extremely tall people who prefer to sleep with their legs stretched out. Pet owners may also appreciate the extra space provided by the longer bed for their furry friends.
Which king size you prefer may also depend on the size and layout of your bedroom. Square footage occupied by beds is as follows:
- King:Space of Approximately 42.22 Square Feet
- The reigning monarch of the Golden State:This area is approximately 42 square feet in size.
When deciding between a regular king and a California king, it’s also important to think about the bedding. Bedding sets for the more common standard king size mattress are more readily available, and it should be less difficult to find affordable sets for this size.
What to Look For in a Mattress
Mattresses have to be tailored to the individual, taking into account their weight, sleeping habits, and personal preferences. You can gauge a mattress’ comfort level, durability, ability to support your body all night long, and other useful attributes by looking at the following.
Points to Consider
- Price:The price of a king- or California-sized mattress is typically not different from that of a standard king-sized mattress. The cost of a mattress can vary widely depending on its construction. By eliminating the need for physical locations, online retailers are able to offer more competitive pricing.
- Resting Place:The best mattress for you will depend on how you like to sleep. Mattresses that are sufficiently firm to provide adequate lumbar support may be more appealing to back sleepers. People who prefer to sleep on their sides typically benefit from softer mattresses, as this helps to alleviate pressure on the hips and shoulders. People who weigh more tend to prefer more supportive mattresses.
- Style of Mattress:Innerspring, all-foam, hybrid, latex, and airbed are just some of the mattress types available. Each variety of bed mattress provides a unique texture to the sleeper. Mattresses made of latex and innersprings have a springy feel, while those made of foam or a hybrid construction are more contouring. Within each category of mattress, there is also considerable variety.
- Contouring:The term “contouring” refers to how well a mattress molds to the shape of the person lying on it. The most conforming mattresses are typically made of memory foam. Many people find that they sleep better on memory foam because of the way it “hugs” the body. Mattresses with contouring support curve to the shape of the sleeper’s body, providing comfort and easing pressure points. When it comes to contouring support, memory foam is at its best in both traditional foam and hybrid mattresses.
- Best-in-Class Components:From steel coils to memory foam, there is a wide variety of mattress quality levels available. Higher-quality materials usually (but not always) cost more. Denser memory foam and polyfoam are typically of higher quality. When it comes to latex, it’s common knowledge that more natural means better.
- Degree of Stiffness:With a scale from 1 to 10, the firmness of mattresses can be compared on a common scale. Most mattresses have a firmness level anywhere from 3 to 8, but the sweet spot for most sleepers is between 6 and 4.
- Edge Assistance:When describing a mattress, the term “edge support” refers to how well the mattress holds up under pressure at its sides. When a mattress has solid edge support, occupants can make use of the entire sleeping surface without worrying about falling off the side of the bed. One of the best features of an innerspring mattress is the sturdy border around the perimeter.
- Balanced Temperature:True temperature neutrality in a mattress prevents sleepers from getting too hot or too cold. It’s a common complaint that people get too warm while sleeping. Consistent with their conforming nature, foams are excellent heat traps. To combat this and reach temperature neutrality, manufacturers employ a wide variety of strategies.
- Noise:When pressure is applied to them or when people move around on them, some mattresses, especially those with innersprings, can make noise. A mattress with pocketed coils, as opposed to an innerspring, is less likely to make noise because each coil is contained in its own fabric pocket. Most people find that all-foam mattresses are the most silent option.
Types of Mattresses
Innerspring, foam, latex, hybrid (coils with foam or latex), and airbed are the five most common mattress constructions available today. Mattresses within the same category tend to have similar characteristics due to their shared construction.
However, there is also a great deal of variety among the various types of mattresses. There is a wide variation between different mattress models within the same category in terms of construction, materials, and sleep quality.
Definition:Hybrid mattresses aim to solve this problem by bringing together the best features of multiple mattress types. Hybrid mattresses have a coil support core and foam or latex comfort layers. They offer more padding than your standard innerspring mattress while still being more comfortable, and they stay cooler and have better edge support than most all-foam beds.
Perceived as Safe by Most:Customers in the market for a California king mattress usually have a roommate, children, or pets who all sleep in the same bed each night. Hybrids are a viable option for couples who plan to sleep together because of the temperature neutrality provided by the coil layer and the airflow that is enabled by the design. Their texture typically combines responsiveness and conformity, making them a agreeable middle ground for those with divergent tastes.
Definition:Innerspring mattresses have springs as their main structural component, which makes for a buoyant and responsive sleeping surface. Typically, innersprings maintain a constant temperature and offer a supportive, comfortable sleep surface. Since they utilize one of the earliest forms of mattress technology, innerspring mattresses tend to be among the most reasonably priced options out there.
Strength with a Chilling Effect:Because of the high airflow that innerspring mattresses provide, they maintain a consistent temperature throughout the night. Innerspring mattresses do not retain heat the way that some all-foam or hybrid models can, making them a better option for hot sleepers and bed-sharers.
Definition:Latex is a type of rubber that can be used in a mattress in either the support structure or the comfort layers, depending on the manufacturer’s preference. There is some evidence that latex mattresses may last for decades. Those who prefer a mattress with a surface that is both soft and responsive will be satisfied with a latex mattress.
Adaptive Solace:Latex offers support and shape retention without the sinking feeling of other materials. Latex mattresses are comfortable for couples who share a bed without causing them to sink too deeply into the mattress or each other.
Definition: A bed that uses air chambers for support as opposed to a traditional bed’s coils, foam, or latex is called an airbed. Most modern mattresses allow the user to adjust the amount of air within the mattress, allowing for instantaneous adjustments in firmness or softness.
Substantial Modifications:For couples who share a bed, the fact that many airbeds allow each partner to set their own firmness level is a huge plus. Many airbeds allow you to individually control the firmness of each side of the bed, which is convenient if you and your sleeping partner are of different weights or have different mattress preferences.
Definition:While memory foam gives many foam mattresses a “hug,” not all foam mattresses are created equal. The core support and comfort layers are both made of foam, though some mattresses use other materials for the comfort layers. Some foam mattresses retain heat, so many manufacturers incorporate cooling materials into their designs to ensure their customers are comfortable throughout the night.
Calming the Surface:For those who regularly sleep next to someone who favors a different sleeping position, a foam mattress may be the best option. In terms of comfort and pressure relief, memory foam mattresses are typically the best, and a well-made foam mattress can accommodate people who sleep in a variety of positions.
Last Things to Consider When You’re Buying a California King
- Box spring:Bed frames for California king mattresses may be more difficult to come by than for standard king mattresses. Buying a mattress from the same company that makes your bed frame can save you time and effort.
- Bedding and Sheets:Bedding and sheets in the California king size are less common than their standard king-sized counterparts. This could mean more time spent looking and settling for less comfortable bed options.
- Space and Entryways:When compared to traditional king mattresses, California king mattresses are 4 inches longer in length but 4 inches narrower in width. If you’re looking into getting a California king mattress, keep this in mind when calculating the size of your bedroom, as it may affect how easy or difficult the mattress is to set up.
- Putting Together a Mattress and Its Weight:Although the square footage of a California king mattress is smaller than that of a standard king mattress, the two are otherwise identical in terms of their weight. In practice, setting up either type of mattress is equivalent. If you need help putting together a larger mattress, it may be worthwhile to pay extra for White Glove delivery services that include in-home assembly.
Comment your thoughts on this thread.