Because of this, you may wish to change your bedding as well. In such cases, the major question is what you should do with your old mattress. If you don’t want to use the mattress anymore, you can throw it away, recycle it, or even sell it. If the second alternative is still in good shape, it’s preferable.
Can You Sell a Used Mattress?
What to Do Before Selling Your Mattress?
An old mattress can be sold to someone who needs it, as long as you know where to locate them. The simplest method to achieve this is to ensure that your bed is in top condition before selling it..
Before putting it on the market, perform the following steps:
- See if selling secondhand mattresses is allowed in your state. Mattresses are among the most restricted commodities for selling secondhand ones. As a result, unscrupulous mattress dealers conned many clients out of their old mattresses. It makes appropriate to control the exchange of mattresses for money, given the complexity of the transaction.
- Examine the old mattress to see if anything is wrong with it. Is the mattress sagging? Are there sores on your skin that you can feel? There may be mold or mildew in the area.
- Your bed needs to be made according to your standards. You’ll need to remove any food stains or spills from your old mattress before you buy a new one. Alternatively, you might use an upholstery attachment on a vacuum specially intended for the job.
- Inspect the outside of the mattress for any tears or rips in the fabric. When there is any damage, you may not be able to recoup your investment. The mattress is no longer a viable sales candidate if it is unable to be used for any reason.
- Look over your old mattress by removing it from the bed frame. A rip or a tear at the edge could be dangerous for someone who is resting on the mattress.
- You can use any stain removers, mattress deodorizers, or mattress cleaning sprays on the surface of your old mattress right now to clean it up if you need to. Spray it with a bed bug and vermin repellent to ensure it stays insect-free. They can survive without food or water for months at a time. Putting your mattress aside for a few weeks won’t be enough time to ensure that it is free of allergens.
- The bed is a great subject for photography. Make sure they’re of the best quality. HubSpot has a great tutorial on how to capture stunning photos. When looking for a bed online, the first thing customers will see are these. With the appropriate photography, you can make a great first impression.
Where to Sell a Used Mattress?
Selling your mattress to a friend or family member is the greatest alternative. It’s the quickest and least invasive method. Take the item to your friend’s house and let him pick it up. You won’t have to deal with any unpleasantries as a result of this.
However, this is rarely a possibility. How likely is it that you know someone who is in need of a new bed frame? In your favor, the world is vast, so you may take use of the Internet’s reach to locate potential customers.
It’s easiest to get rid of an old or outdated bed by using Craigslist, eBay, Facebook or even Amazon.
It’s free to post ads if you’re selling and $20 if you’re looking to buy on our site.
You won’t have any issues because of the user interface’s simplicity and ease of use. For those who are interested in learning more about your bed before getting in touch with you, you can publish images of it on your social media accounts.
You may also sell used mattresses on Craigslist by using the classified ads area in every city and country that has an audience that is interested in purchasing beds.
Craigslist’s power resides in its ability to locate people in your region who are looking for a mattress. It’s a hassle to move a mattress. All parties benefit when the buyer is as near as possible.
2. Facebook Marketplace
Your old mattress can be sold this way as well.
Using this software on Facebook, you can post photos of your bed and set a price for it. In a similar vein to Craigslist, the Facebook Marketplace’s strength lies in its ability to connect local sellers with buyers.
If you’re looking to sell a mattress, you’ll be able to do so without any problems thanks to the user interface.
Ads on Facebook Marketplace might help you get your used mattress in front of more potential buyers.
This is the most flexible choice. Your old mattress is one of the many items that may be sold on eBay. You can easily sell mattresses of various thicknesses and sizes here. Additionally, if the mattress is broken during shipping, you are covered by eBay’s buyer protection.
In order to post your ad, you can choose from a plethora of options on eBay’s user-friendly interface. In order to sell your old bed, you may publish photos and videos of it online and put it up for sale in various auctions or buy now ads (which will cost you a small fee).
The one thing to keep in mind is that eBay has a reputation for attracting unscrupulous purchasers. There are people out there trying to defraud others, so make sure you understand their policies thoroughly before putting your mattress up for sale.
There are many advantages to this strategy, but it may not be the ideal choice for everyone.
You may sell your bed for a lot less money on Amazon FBA (using an Amazon Seller account) than on eBay or Craigslist. Why? Because you don’t have to lift a finger or ship a single thing! Simply fill out the form, bundle it up, and mail it.
However, Amazon has its drawbacks. Your mattress sale will be a success if you get a lot of positive feedback and reviews from your customers. In order to maintain the freshness of your mattress during shipping with Amazon Fulfillment by Amazon, you’ll need a high-quality mattress cover. There are some mattresses that can cost up to $100, but they’re far more affordable on Amazon.
Selling on Amazon has the potential to cost you more money than you’re making. Calculate if it’s worth the time and effort for a one-time sale.
If you’re considering selling your bed on Amazon, be sure to check out their seller policies first so that you know what’s expected of you.
How to Sell a Used Mattress?
Your old mattress may be a concern if you’ve opted to purchase a new one. Many people prefer to sell their old mattresses to offset the cost of purchasing a new one. However, selling a mattress is one of the most challenging household products you can sell secondhand. This step-by-step guide will show you how to sell a used mattress. Please keep in mind that if your mattress is more than five or six years old, it definitely isn’t worth selling at all.
You must investigate local rules and regulations, set a price, and advertise your mattress in order to find a buyer. To dispose of your old mattress, follow these simple steps:
1. Research Applicable Laws & Regulations
Be aware that the selling of used mattresses is more heavily regulated in comparison with most other household goods. For the most part, mattresses that have been previously owned can be resold in the United States, but only if they comply with specific labeling and processing regulations.
State laws govern the selling of used mattresses, so you’ll need to check with your local city or town to see if there are any restrictions. Mattresses must be sterilized before they can be sold in several states. In most states, the labeling of old mattresses as “used” is mandatory. While some states do not allow the selling of secondhand mattresses, they do allow the sale of specific mattress components. Others, on the other hand, have no regulations at all.
Find out if there are any used mattress stores in your neighborhood if your state permits merchants to sell used mattresses (most states do not). Is selling your bed to a retail outlet the best option for you if so? In terms of money, selling directly to a buyer is more lucrative, but the process is far more time-consuming.
2. Set a Price
Assuming you’ve established that selling your old mattress is legal (and worth your time), the next step is determining an appropriate price. Used mattresses are typically sold at between 20 and 30 percent of their original retail price. A $1,000 memory foam mattress, for example, can be sold for $200 to $300 if it is in good condition.
It is worth noting, however, that there are a number of variables that can affect an old mattress’s market value:
- How old it is (a 3 year old mattress may cost twice as much as a 7 year old mattress) (a 3 year old mattress may fetch twice as much as a 7 year old mattress).
- How often it was used (main bed vs. guest bedroom) (primary bed vs. guest bedroom).
- The mattress’ physical condition, stains, obvious sagging, etc.
- The mattress’ brand and reviews.
- Seller advantages (delivery included, or pick-up only) (delivery included, or pick-up only).
3. Write an Advertisement
It’s now time to put together an advertisement for your old mattress for sale on the internet. While highlighting its selling points, you must be truthful and honest about its current state. Make an effort to include all of the following:
- Model and brand.
- Size of mattress (if you’re not sure, measure it and consult our mattress size guide).
- type of bed (innerspring, hybrid, or all-foam).
- There are a lot of different things that go into (polyfoam, springs, latex, memory foam, etc.).
- The cover’s textiles.
- The mattress’s age.
- The mattress’s use (guest bed vs. primary bed).
- It doesn’t matter if you utilized a mattress pad or not.
- Please provide any difficulties you’ve encountered or additional information that may be helpful to the reader.
The price you’re asking and whether or not it’s a firm pricing should be listed. Your price can be “Or Best Offer” if you’re open to offers (OBO).
If you’re able to transport it, and you’re fine with folks coming to your home for a look, be sure to note that as well. Make sure to include your phone number and email address.
4. Choose a Marketplace
The next step is to decide where you’re going to put your mattress up for sale. Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are your best bets in most circumstances. To get you started, consider these possibilities:
- Facebook Marketplace
- OfferUp app
- LetGo app
- eBay Classifieds
- Kijiji (Canada)
For the most part, you’ll want to go with the site or app that is most popular in your area. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or OfferUp/LetGo are the most common options. There is no danger in selling on various marketplaces because they are all free for vendors.
Since vendors must send their products to customers, online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay aren’t a good option for mattresses. So, you’ll want to stick to markets that emphasize on local pickups.
5. Sell Your Mattress!
It’s time to wait for potential purchasers to contact you after you’ve put your mattress up for sale on Craigslist or another used local marketplace. Try one of the following options if you’ve had little interest in your project for a week or two:
- Repost or “bump” your ad.
- Reduce the cost.
- Make the title of the listing more attention-grabbing.
- As a gesture of goodwill, you can offer to deliver the item (many people are unable to pick up a used mattress).
You may have to wait a long to sell your mattress, depending on the local population and other circumstances. Most people prefer to buy new mattresses, thus used mattresses aren’t in high demand.
6. Consider Donating
Donating your mattress is an excellent option if you’re unable to sell it or the process appears too onerous. Donations of gently used mattresses in good condition may be accepted by local charities such as Habitat for Humanity, Goodwill, and other faith-based groups. Another alternative is a homeless shelter.
It’s advisable to contact around to discover if a certain charity will accept your donation. Make sure your bed is described precisely, and let them know if you’re able to deliver it or if it must be picked up from you.
How Much Can You Make from Selling Your Mattress?
Of course, you’d like to get as much money as possible for your old mattress when you decide to get rid of it.
Depending on the size, condition, and location of the mattress, the price ranges from $20 to $200. It’s also important to consider the price you paid when you got it. If you spend a lot of money on a mattress, it’s likely that it’s still excellent enough to sell for a reasonable price.
This can be accomplished in various ways, some of which require more effort than others.
The first step is to determine the mattress’s market value by inspecting its condition. Your mattress’s value can be estimated by comparing it to other used mattresses.
Make sure there aren’t any problems with it. There should be no stains, tears, or punctures on the cover. Bed bugs shouldn’t be overlooked. Getting rid of an outdated bed as soon as possible will make it more appealing to potential buyers.
Establishing a Price
It’s time to figure out how much your bed is worth. You can take a number of steps to ensure that the price you set is reasonable. Somewhere in the middle, so as not to scare away possible purchasers.
- Use a price comparison tool to discover what other people in your region are selling their mattresses for so you can modify your pricing accordingly.
- If you’re in a hurry, you can always type in “used mattresses” into Google to see what comes up.
- Local websites that cater to those looking for bargains on old beds in your area may be worth advertising on as well.
- Identifying the going rate for your old bed is the next logical step. This is the most critical consideration. Who are you to judge if your bed is worth $50 to you, but someone is willing to pay $100 for it? It’s a win-win situation for both of you.
A used mattress inspection can be nerve-wracking since you don’t know if the buyer is going to pay attention to the small things. Hence, the need for a professional assessment service. If your mattress is in good shape, they will conduct the work for you and offer you an honest estimate of its value.
Taking Care of the Process: How to Sell Your Mattress Safely
In order to sell your old mattress, there are a few things you should know.
There are a few procedures you need to follow before you can begin selling your mattress.
- You must remove the bedding and clean or remove any stains from the cover before putting it back together.
- You’ll also want to make sure that all of the labels on the product have been removed.
- After you’ve sold the mattress, you need to take special care of it. This can be accomplished by thoroughly cleaning the area to be covered and then applying a new cover on top.
- If you’re selling bedding, be extremely specific about how long you have until it’s time to replace it (and how much it costs) in your description. When selling secondhand goods, honesty is essential. People will be more inclined to take your word for it if you give them all the details up front.
If you have a lot of sentimental value attached to your old mattress, you may want to hold on to it for a few more months before selling it.
5 Tips On How To Sell A Used Mattress
1. Clean It
So that potential buyers aren’t hesitant to buy your mattress, be sure to have it completely cleaned and sterilized before putting it up for sale. Sweat, urine, or bloodstains are clear deterrents to customers who are looking to purchase a product. For stunning results, use a high-quality cleaner and make sure it leaves behind a pleasant scent.
2. Be Honest
The mattress was cleaned, sanitized, and aired on a regular basis, especially with the use of a pad or protector. If this is true, tell the consumer.
3. Brand Name
The mattress brand should always be mentioned. Regardless matter whether a product is new or used, a well-known brand name is a guarantee of quality. Include the model or version of the item you’re selling, as this will allow potential buyers to look up technical specs and customer reviews on Google.
4. Take Pictures
Pictures are worth a thousand words, thus if you want to sell something, you need to have photographs of the item you’re selling. Make sure consumers can see the product from a variety of angles so they can make an informed decision.
5. Other Details
Always specify if you don’t have any pets in the house. People with allergies or a hatred for animals will want to know if the bed has come into contact with dogs. It’s also worth noting if it comes from a non-smoking setting. If you’re able to provide delivery, make sure to indicate it, as well as whether or not it will be free of charge.
Selling a used mattress is doable. You can either sell it to a shop or straight to the customer, or you can swap it. Use the above-mentioned advice to your advantage. Your old mattress can be sold either to a shop or directly to a consumer, no matter which option you choose.